Julius N. Cowdery residence
An interesting Victorian style residence was
built in 1871 by a young attorney named Julius N. Cowdery
and his wife, the former Helen Marvin, a music teacher.
Side note: a young Bert Holloway was one of Mrs. Cowdey’s
The famous white way lighting of the avenue enhanced those gracious
homes that were new in those early years. The house was razed
The residence was at 624 Robbins Avenue and was
quite traditional in structure with heavy cornices, a black walnut
staircase with a gallery, French pressed imported woodwork and
stained glass windows.
Julius N. Cowdery. PO1.1094
N. Cowdery was born on a Mecca Township farm in 1841. Attended
Western Reserve Academy and graduated from Wetsrn Reserve University
in 1861. He enlisted in the Union forces and served until disabled
by typhus fever.
In 1871, he was graduated from the University
of Michigan law school and opened his office in Niles that same
year and continued in practice here for 46 years until his death
History records that he was recognized as one
of the ablest lawyers in the county and over the decades was,
at various times, legal advisor for businesses, industries, the
City of Niles, as well as individual clients.
He was also one of the first trustees of the
new McKinley Memorial Library.
1918 map showing the location
of the Cowdery house at 624 Robbins Avenue.