Interior view of the C.R. Holeton and Sons Furniture
Store showing the many different styles of furniture that was
The Holeton Block, built in 1887, is the last
remnant of the original Niles downtown buildings. It is located
at 16 South Main Street on the west side of South Main Street
near the site of the Niles Bank Building.
Selling furniture since 1875 and practicing as
a licensed undertaker and embalmer from 1890, C.R. Holeton
built the Holeton Block.
In 1889 the C.R. Holeton & Son Furniture
and Undertaking was the first occupant of this building with the
furniture located on the first floor and the caskets were upstairs.
At this time, funerals were held in the home and the deceased
was carried to the cemetery by a horse-drawn hearse.
From the 1920s through the early 1950s, Kreiger's
Pool Hall occupied the right side of the Holeton Block. Later,
Leon Doubet would move his jewelry store into this building.
Holeton and Sons 1916 Hearse.
In 1928 the business moved to its present location
at 126 West Park Avenue. The business was known as Holeton Funeral
The name later was changed to Holeton and Holeton
Funeral Home when the two brothers, Charles and Dan,
took over their father’s business.
Dan died at a young age and Charles maintained
the funeral home until he died in the early 1950s.
Center: Charles Holeton in WWI
Right: Jimmy Holeton, 1926.
Left: Advertisement for Holeton
Brothers Funeral Home located at 16 Main Street.
Center: Holeton Brothers ambulance
Horse drawn wagon moving furniture with C.R.
Holeton atop the wagon in front of Methodist Church at corner
of West Park Avenue and Arlington.
1939 advertisement for Holeton&Holeton Funeral
Home at 126 West Park Avenue.
Postcard of typical funeral with pall-bearers
exiting the Methodist Church and placing the casket into an awaiting
Military cassion with casket.
1951 ambulance in front of Holeton Funeral Home
which now had a covered entrance.
Center: An addition to the funeral
home occurred in 1958 and the funeral home provided ambulance
Right: The Haydu Gulf Service station
property would provide much-needed parking for the funeral home
in the future.
Newspaper clipping of Charles Holeton, Don Holeton
and the Holeton funeral home at 126 West Park Avenue.
Alex Yuhasz became a
licensed funeral director and embalmer after attending the Cleveland
Academy of Mortuary Science and began working for the Holeton
In 1969 James Alex Yuhasz
became a licensed funeral director and embalmer after graduation
from Youngstown University and the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary
The name changed in 1972 to the
Holeton-Yuhasz Funeral Home. In 1974 Alex Yuhasz died at the
age of 57.
Alex and James AlexYuhasz in
The Holeton-Yuhasz Funeral Home in 1980.
Major building renovations, addition and redecorating
occurred in 1979.
Improvements continued in 1990 with
a handicap accessible entrance,
sound system and redecoration.
In 1991 James
Alan Yuhasz becomes a licensed funeral director and embalmer
after graduation from The Ohio State University and the Pittsburg
Institute of Mortuary Science.
1999 brought another major building renovation,
addition and redecorating. In 2006 and 2008 additional adjacent
property was acquired for parking and future growth.
Contributed by: James Yuhasz,