Drawing of 'The Little White School
first public school, a little white frame building, was erected
after 1834 on North Main Street, where the McKinley Memorial now
stands. In this one room school house, the teacher was expected
to teach the three R's to all levels and maintain discipline.
One room school houses were also located on Chestnut
Street, Walnut Street and two more were reported on the South
Side of Niles.
1842, Leslie Avenue School was built near the northeast corner
of Leslie and Linden Avenues. This frame building was renamed
Grant Street School in 1920. It has been razed.
The three story brick and mortar
Central School building opened in 1871. Frank Carl E. Robbins
was the first student to graduate from Cental School in 1875.
After a fire in the mid 1920's, Central School was demolished
and a public park was erected on that site.
Scene is of the Central School
with its bell tower.
first brick school, Central School, was located on Furnace Street,
now State Street, near Church Street. The building was a three
story brick structure with arched windows and brick details on
each corner of the building. There were six teachers employed
including the principal. The road was dirt and transportation
was by horse and wagon.
The bell for the tower was cast by A. Fulton
and Sons of Pittsburgh, PA.
Front view of Central School showing brickwork.
Niles High School as it appeared in 1936. PO2.480
The football stadium was built
as a WPA project in 1934.PO3.7
Industrial arts room on the second
floor of the Annex.PO1.1957
Outdoor playground which later
became the enclosed Annex
Front entranceway of the former Niles High School
that would become Edison Jr High in 1958 housing grades 7-9.
The front portico in now featured inside the
new Middle School on Brown Street that was built in 2003. PO3.38