Roosevelt School Construction.
Niles Daily News April 24, 1920.
Madison Avenue School under construction at the present time.
Niles Daily News July 14, 1921
Work upon the new Roosevelt School in the
Pew Addition is moving forward swiftly and without delay. The
new structure will be complete and ready for occupancy when the
fall term of school opens(1921). Mrs. Kittie Craig has
been selected as the principal of the new building.
The building was renamed Roosevelt School in
November 1920 when the Niles School Board changed each of the
schools to a President's name rather than a street name.
This school served the northwest Niles students
living in the area bounded by Federal Street, Mosquito Creek continuing
out North Main Street and North Road.
A Wing for McKinley High.
Niles Daily Times, October 1953
If the Niles School Bond Levy passes (November
1953), the Roosevelt School Building will be discontinued as an
elementary center and would be used as the academic wing of the
proposed new senior high school building.
A new Roosevelt Elementary building (later named
Bonham Elementary after Superintendent S.J. Bonham) would be erected
on a land site further north and would contain a kindergarten
room, 12 regular classrooms and a multi-purpose room to provide
the necessary facilities for a modern program of elementary education.
The present Roosevelt structure is poorly located
with respect to pupils served yet additional capacity is needed
to serve students in the attendance district.
Though the building is one of the best in the
city school system (built in 1920), it lacks many of the desirable
features of a modern elementary edification.
Some may hit combining an old building with a
major new construction project but the financial and educational
advantages of such a plan outweigh any possible disadvantages.
Using Roosevelt for senior high school purposes
would remove a large number of elementary pupils from what will
be a very congested area and at the same time increase the usable
site for senior high purposes.
Although 18 acres may seem like a lot of land
(for the new high school), to some it is considered a little short
of the minimum standards for a high school of 750 and it is possible
the ultimate capacity of the proposed building will greatly exceed
that figure. Ed. Note: upon opening in the Fall of 1957, the student
population exceeded the projected 750 students.
Roosevelt School Closes.
Niles Times January 12, 1995 Bob Coupland
This week for the first time in over 30 years
the Roosevelt school annex is not being used for classes. For
years the students and teachers trekked the block to the annex
building morning and afternoon, rain or shine. Its official close
was January 6, 1995.
Last week, desks, chairs, boxes, lockers, filing
cabinets, teaching materials and equipment were removed from Roosevelt
and brought to McKinley High School where six rooms were remodeled
to hold classes for freshmen.
Eight teachers who taught full-time and a few
who taught part-time will now spend all of their school day at
the high school building. Roosevelt School was used since the
1950s (when the new Bonham School was opened in 1956) and at one
time had as many as 1200-1300 students in the building throughout
the day. The current 950 students who are at the building during
the day will all be adjusting to their new classrooms this week.
An average of 150 students were at the building each period.
The Nils City School District was one of the
few districts in Ohio that had a building away from the main building
that students had to walk back and forth to on a daily basis.
In December 1994, the Board of Education closed
the building for safety reasons but had to wait for renovations
to be completed at the main building. No one will have to leave
the high school building and can now avoid bad weather and traffic
which often confronted students and teachers during their walk-over
to Roosevelt and back.