Ward-Thomas Museum
503 Brown Street
Niles Ohio

History of the Niles City Schools Administration Buildings

Click on any photograph to view a larger image.

To purchase a high-resolution print of any photograph on this page without the visible watermark, E-Mail Us
Use the image ID Example: PO1.1023


E-Mail Us Phone : 330.544.2143

Mail: PO Box 368 Niles, Ohio 44446


Historical Society Links
Historical Society Links
Historical  Society Events
Historical Society Tours

Niles Historical Books for sale

Click here for details

Return to Home Page

E-Mail Us

If you enjoy the images on these Webpages, there is a newly-published book with high resolution images and descriptions that will interest you. With over 400 photographs and 200 pages, the new book-A Pictorial History of the Buildings of Niles Ohio offers a pictorial history of the buildings of Niles from 1895 through the present day.

Follow this link for information on ordering your book.

This building was originally the office of the Thomas Furnace Company

History of the Niles City Schools Administration Buildings.

This building was originally the office of the Thomas Furnace Company. It was erected in 1892 by the late J.R. Thomas. The Thomas Furnace Company was composed of J.R. Thomas and his sons, John M. Thomas, T.E. Thomas, and the Honorable W. Aubrey Thomas, former member of Congress. This company was engaged in the manufacture of pig iron and continued until 1899 when they sold out to the National Steel Corporation which was later absorbed by United Steel Corporation.


The 1.5 acre lot and building later were sold to the Niles City Schools in 1930 for $3500.00.

The building and site was then purchased by the Erie Railroad. The 1.5 acre lot and building later were sold to the Niles City Schools in 1930 for $3500.00. The Erie RR had been offered more by a person who wanted to build a fruit stand in the building, but appealing to their civic spirit they were persuaded to sell the building for a school administration building and the grounds to be a civic beauty spot. The chemical laboratory building was moved and made an annex to the Erie building.

 


The old Administration Building burned down when juveniles set fire to it on January 29, 1972

The old Administration Building burned down when juveniles set fire to it on January 29, 1972

he site in now only trees and the pavement remnants of the old Church Street entrance to Robbins Avenue

The old Administration Building burned down when juveniles set fire to it on January 29, 1972

he site in now only trees and the pavement remnants of the old Church Street entrance to Robbins Avenue

he site in now only trees and the pavement remnants of the old Church Street entrance to Robbins Avenue

The old Administration Building burned down when juveniles set fire to it on January 29, 1972



The old Jackson Elementary School on Warren Avenue became the Administration Building in Fall 1967.

 

This Administration Building remained in use until the old Jackson School on Warren Avenue(still standing, see left photo) became the next Administration Building in 1967-8. The old Administration Building burned down when juveniles set fire to it on January 29, 1972(see above photos).

The site in now only trees and the pavement remnants of the old Church Street entrance to Robbins Avenue(see above photos).


The area where the Administration Building(1930-1967) was located, underwent major changes during the construction of the Erie RR grade elimination in 1953.

The area where the Administration Building(1930-1967) was located, underwent major changes during the construction of the Erie RR grade elimination in 1953. Church Street no longer connected with Robbins Avenue and State Street continued north until intersecting with the new extension of Robbins Avenue which now connected with North Main Street.

 


 

 


In the ‘90s, the offices were moved to the building on West Street by the Mosquito Creek
In the ‘90s, the offices were moved to the building on West Street by the Mosquito Creek (below Macali’s Giant Eagle) which had been the offices for the Bucci Brothers and in 1976, it was the Ohio Compensation Claims building which handled all Blue Cross payments for the unions there.

When Niles voters approved a bond issue to finance a new high school and two new elementary schools in 2011, the School Board purchased the Mount Carmel School building and land for the Niles City Schools Administration Facilities.

When Niles voters approved a bond issue to finance a new high school and two new elementary schools in 2011, the School Board purchased the Mount Carmel School building and land for the Niles City Schools Administration Facilities.
Back to top
 
       
   
 
       
  Copyright©2008-2016, Niles Historical Society, All rights reserved