High School Bell in Niles, Ohio

Click on any photograph to view a larger image.

To purchase a high-resolution print of any listed photograph on this page without the visible watermark, E-Mail Us
Use the image ID Example: PO1.1023


E-Mail Us Phone: 330.544.2143

Mail: PO Box 368 Niles, Ohio 44446


Historical Society Links
Historical Society Links
Historical  Society Events
Historical Society Tours

Niles Historical Books for sale

Click here for details

Return to Home Page

E-Mail Us


Central High School

PO1.1180

The first brick school built in Niles was the Union High School, later named Central High School. Construction began in 1870 and it opened in May 1871, with six teachers, including the principal.

It was built at Mill Street(now East State Street) and Church Street. It was a red brick building with three stories and a basement, and cost $37,980.00.

A new McKinley High School was opened in 1914 at the corner of Church Street and Arlington.

However, the Central High building was in continuous use until the mid 1920s providing extra classrooms. After a fire broke out in two of the classrooms, it was declared unsafe and demolished.

Postcard of the Central Park fountain, wading pool, and band pavillion on the site of the former Central School.

Postcard of the Central Park fountain, wading pool, and band pavillion on the site of the former Central School.

In 1976, the structures of this park were demolished in the Downtown Urban Renewal Project. The new Central Park apartments now occupy this space and provides homes for the elderly.


Graduation photograph of Frank Carl E. Robbins. He was the first to graduate from Niles Central High School in 1875.

PO1.1107

Graduation photograph of Frank Carl E. Robbins. He was the first to graduate from Niles Central High School in 1875.

This photograph was taken in 1876 of the graduates of Niles Central School. L-R: Elmer Wilson, A.J. Bentley, and Thomas Robbins.

PO1.1613

This photograph was taken in 1876 of the graduates of Niles Central School. L-R: Elmer Wilson, A.J. Bentley, and Thomas Robbins.

Scene is of the Old Central School with its bell tower.

PO1.

Scene is of the Old Central School with its bell tower. The road was dirt and transportation was by horse and wagon.


The Old Central School bell was located on the front lawn of the new McKinley High School on Church Street.

The Old Central School bell was located on the front lawn of the new McKinley High School on Church Street.

A new McKinley High School was under construction in 1914 on Church Street between Arlington and Chestnut Streets. It housed grades 1-12 and had an outdoor playhouse which provided play and exercise areas during inclement weather.

The McKinley High School was renamed Edison Junior High School in 1958 and converted for grades 7-8-9, while the new Niles McKinley High School, built in 1957 on Trumbull Drive, housed grades 10-12. New elementary schools: Lincoln, Jackson, and Bonham were built to accomodate the increased elementary student population.

A second image of the Niles McKinley High School

PO2.480

A second image of
McKinley High School. ca 1936


The Niles McKinley High School opened in the Fall of 1957.

The Niles McKinley High School opened in the Fall of 1957.

The 1959 Senior Class Project, under the sponsorship of Miss Anna Compana, had the bell moved from the old McKinley High School to a pedestal in front of the new Niles McKinley High School.

The 1959 Senior Class Project, under the sponsorship of Miss Anna Compana, had the bell moved from the old McKinley High School to a pedestal in front of the new Niles McKinley High School.Their project also included the construction of concrete benches and sidewalks leading to the pedestal.

The Old Central School bell, as it appeared in 2013,

The Old Central School bell was located in front of Niles McKinley High School from 1959-2013.


The new Niles McKinley High School on Dragon Drive was built in 2013.

The new Niles McKinley High School on Dragon Drive was built in 2013.

The Old Central School bell at the new Niles McKinley High School on Dragon Drive.

The Old Central School bell at the new Niles McKinley High School on Dragon Drive.

Detail of the Central School bell with

Detail of the Central School bell with
school board members in 1871 listed.


 
Back to top
       
       
       
       
       
  Copyright©2008-2019, Niles Historical Society, All rights reserved