Forgotten Park in Downtown Niles.
Of course you know the location
of Waddell Park and Stevens Park and some will remember Central
Park and Murphy Park, however most are unaware that there was
another park-the forgotten downtown park known as Niles Community
Park or Niles Public Park.
The Niles Community Park, home to
the 1882 Civil War Monument, a civil war cannon and the Town Hall,
was located on the southwest corner of the block where the McKinley
Memorial is sited today. The park became part of the McKinley
Memorial grounds in 1915 when construction of the Memorial began
in November 1915.
View of McKinley Memorial grounds
after the Memorial was built in 1917.
Soldier's Monument in Community Park, 1912. PO1.207
The Old Town Hall was on the site where the McKinley
Memorial would be built.The monument is still standing on the
rear grounds ofthe McKinley Memorial.
Erected by McPherson Post #116 of GAR and Citizens
of Weathersfield Twp. to honor General James "Birdseye"
McPherson, born Sandusky, OH Nov. 14, 1828.
View of Community Park on the right from West
Park Avenue and Arlington. The First Methodist Church in the background
was dedicated in 1908.
The 1918 map shows the new McKinley
Memorial that was dedicated in 1917.
The highlighted area shows the
of Community Park prior to 1917.
View of Town Hall and Civil War Monument from
1914 postcard. PO1.206
Another postcard view of the Town Hall on the
grounds of Community Park also known as Public Park.