Niles Fire Department

Click on any photograph to view a larger image.

To purchase a high-resolution print of any photograph on this page without the visible watermark, E-Mail Us


Use the image ID Example: PO1.1023


E-Mail Us Phone :330.544.2143

Mail: PO Box 368 Niles, Ohio 44446


Historical Society Links
Historical Society Links
Historical  Society Events
Historical Society Tours

Niles Historical Books for sale

Click here for details

Return to Home Page

E-Mail Us

If you enjoy the images on these Webpages, there is a newly-published book with high resolution images and descriptions that will interest you.
With over 400 photographs and 200 pages, the new book-A Pictorial History of the Buildings of Niles Ohio offers a pictorial history of the buildings of Niles from 1895 through the present day.

Follow this link for information on ordering your book.


 

The new city building was built in 1889 at a cost of $8,500.00

The new city building was built in 1889 at a cost of $8,500.00. It was constructed of stone and brick and contained a large room for storage of fire apparatus, box stalls for horses, feed and storage rooms. The doors for the fire department equipment are on the left side of the building on Franklin Alley. In the summer months, an unpleasant odor from the horse stalls often permeated the second floor chambers.

On the second floor were the council chambers and the Mayor's office, plus another room for general purposes. In 1928 another city building was constructed on West State Street and the former city building was enlarged for the Police and Fire departments in 1931
.

1895 horse drawn fire engine.
1895 horse drawn fire engine.

The first fire deptartment was a volunteer organization formed in 1870 and served with a second hand fire engine bought from Pittsburgh by James Ward. This fire equipment was purchased in 1875 and replaced in 1898.

Fire apparatus on the run. "Going to a fire" at Niles

Fire apparatus on the run "Going to a fire".

View of a horsedrawn fire engine standing on State Street.

View of a horsedrawn fire engine standing on the corner of East Park Avenue and Furnace Street(which later became State Street). The building on the right is Guarnieri's Confectionary Store. The building on the left is the old Warner Theatre. This photo was taken about 1900.

A large group of Niles citizens standing outside the fire station on Franklin Alley on a cold wintry day.

A large group of Niles citizens standing outside the fire station on Franklin Alley on a cold wintry day. The horse stalls have been converted to parking areas for the firetruck.

Below: Niles Fire engine #1 inside fire station. Note the Dayton Tubeless tires on the front wheels and the tire chains on the outside of the double-tired back wheels. Photos ca 1915.

Three fire trucks in  station doorways.
Niles Fireengine #1

Niles Fire engine #1

Niles Fire engine #1
Niles Fire engine #1 inside fire station.

 

1916 - Mr. Snelus, who was the mascot in this picture, told us the reason this picture was taken was to show off the new LaFrance Pumper. It was the latest in fire equipment, pumping 750 gallons per minute. It had Dayton airless tires and was chain driven. When this picture was taken there were only two paid men in the department, the captain and the driver.
Photograph taken at Labor Day Parade. Standing on the ground are(l-r): Martin J. Quigley(not a member of Fire Department); Frank Raub, volunteer; Captain John Davis, regular; Elia Williams, volunteer; Joe Gerald, regular; and Ray Applebee, volunteer. On the truck are(l-r): Firechief Lex Orr; Fred Welsh, Safety Director; George Scriven, regular; Charles Raub, volunteer; James Snelus, then a mascot to the firemen and now a captain in the Department; James Holloway, volunteer; Jack Rafferty, volunteer; and Nick Sayers, volunteer. Of those pictured, only Holloway, Scriven, Applebee, and Snelus are still living(1956).

In 1931 the old city building got a new addition on the front and the rest of the building was extensively remodeled for the Police and Fire Departments.

Seated is Captain J.W. Davis and Joe Gerald (behind the wheel). Standing left to right is Chief James Swager, George Neiss and James Snelus, of Niles Town Hall and Fire Department and apparatus

 

In 1931 the old city building got a new addition on the front and the rest of the building was extensively remodeled for the Police and Fire Departments.

Photo taken of the Niles Fire Station on West Park Avenue, Niles, Ohio.

 

Photo taken of the Niles Fire Station on West Park Avenue, Niles, Ohio. The Police Department offices were located on the side and second floor.

One of the early city halls, this building was torn down during urban renewal and the drive through branch of National City Bank was built on this location. Dated September 1975.

 

Early site preparation of the Police-Fire-Court Complex on East State Street.

Early site preparation of the Police-Fire-Court Complex on East State Street.

Early construction of the Police-Fire-Court Complex shows the second floor reinforced to accomodate the weight of the fire trucks.

Early construction of the Police-Fire-Court Complex shows the second floor reinforced to accomodate the weight of the fire trucks.

The Niles Fire Department truck is parked in the drivway on West Park Avenue.

The Niles Fire Department truck is parked in the driveway on West Park Avenue. The Niles Bank Building, which opened in 1930, is in the background.

L-R: Chief J. Swauger, Captain R. Williams, Cad Tompkinson, Ray Mullen, Al McGowan, Walt Thomas at wheel. Photograph ca 1935.

Many of us remember the day of the Hoffman fire, it was a devastating fire that threatened many other stores in the area and for a while it looked like the whole town would burn down.

Many of the stores were built of wood frame and were very old, some dating back to the 1800’s. It took all of Niles firefighters and several other departments to knock the blaze out.

There were several people in the Hoffman Store when it started and everyone got out except a 67 year old lady on the second floor who was over come with smoke and died there.

     
     
     
Back to top
 
       
   
 
       
  Copyright©2008-2016, Niles Historical Society, All rights reserved