History of the Trinity Lutheran Church, Niles Ohio

Click on any photograph to view a larger image.

To purchase a high-resolution print of any listed photograph on this page without the visible watermark, E-Mail Us
Use the image ID Example: PO1.1023


E-Mail Us Phone: 330.544.2143

Mail: PO Box 368 Niles, Ohio 44446


Historical Society Links
Historical Society Links
Historical  Society Events
Historical Society Tours

Niles Historical Books for sale

Click here for details

Return to Home Page

E-Mail Us

Trinity Lutheran Church, built 1929.
Trinity Lutheran Church, built 1929. P01.350

From The Niles Historical Newsletter dated March 2013.


The Niles Lutherans held church in various buildings before building their own church. As early as 1902 they met in the old Town Hall, which was located where the McKinley Memorial now stands.

They also met in the Old Central School Building, but finally they acquired a small frame building in 1917. That building was moved to Holford Street when the brick church was built in 1929. Due to various events, the current congregation was not organized until 1920 under the name Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church. In July 1928, construction on the present sanctuary was begun. After World War II, the church membership increased rapidly.

.

 


Trinity Lutheran Church with 1962 addition.
Trinity Lutheran Church with 1962 addition. P01.352

Today the congregation worships in the imposing structure at 56 North Chestnut Street at the intersection of Church Street. It is of Gothic design built of uniform dark red tapestry bricks and Indiana limestone trim. The main entrance, reached by a flight of stone steps leads to the spacious narthex and main church auditorium which is finished in oak and rich paneling.

In November 1961, ground was broken and the dedication service for the new educational building was held November 11, 1962. At that time, the original chapel which had been moved to Holdford Street was torn down.


Stained Glass Window.
'Prince of Peace' Stained Glass Window. P12.143

The 12 stained glass windows in the church are of exceptional quality and beauty, each one depicting a different phase of the "Life of Christ". In 1945 Pastor Kenneth Wilt started drawing designs for the windows, then the leading stained glass studios of Payne -Spires was chosen to create the hand blown antique glass windows.

Funding for the windows came from members of the congregation except for the "Prince of Peace" window, which was funded by donations from Niles merchants. The cost of construction of that five- facet window was $3,500. The window is dedicated to the military personal of World War II, veterans of all branches of service. This window is illuminated at dusk and can be seen going west on Church Street.


 
Back to top
       
       
       
       
       
  Copyright©2008-2019, Niles Historical Society, All rights reserved