to Central High School. PO1.1177
Photo by E. Earl Porter, 1917.
Central High School or Union School-
Between 1854 and 1870 the population of Niles had mushroomed from
1000 to 3000 people. The need for better educational facilities
resulted in the building of the city's first high school. Its
construction began in 1870 and it opened in May 1871, with six
teachers, including the principal. It was built at Furnace Street
and Church Street. It was a red brick building with three stories
and a basement, and cost $37,980.
The first brick school, Central
School, was located on Furnace Street, now State Street, near
Church Street. The building was a three story brick structure
with arched windows and brick details on each corner of the building.
The road was dirt and transportation was by horse and wagon.
The three story brick and mortar
Central School building opened in 1871. Frank Carl E. Robbins
was the first student to graduate from Cental School in 1875.
There were six teachers employed including the
The bell for the tower was cast by A. Fulton
and Sons of Pittsburgh, PA.
After a fire in the mid 1920's, Central School
was demolished and a public park was erected on that site with
a band pavillion and wading pool. Link
to Central Park history.
Location of Central High School
on 1924 map.
Front view of Central School showing front
entrance, brickwork and steeple. PO1.1178
Postcard of Central High School,
1908 study hall at Old Central School. PO1.1176
1898 second grade class at Central
School. Teacher Bertha Mason. PO1.1172
Front row: Bill Sayers
, third from left and Anna Rider, fourth from right.
John Sandman is third from right in the third row and
the boy in the back row with a large white collar is Homer
Thomas who became City Auditor.
1908 Central School graduation picture. This
was the largest class to graduate since the school opened in 1871.
L to R :1st row: Alma Morrell Woods, Lida
Crooks, Hazel Butler Tritt, Viola DeGarmo, Edna Cornwall and
Anna Hughes Johnson.
Five in back of the first row: Mable Cramer,
Clyde (that's right) Armstrong, Mae Holeton, Nellie Fisher and
Back row: Lee Goehring, Sophia Tibbets Shaw,
Salina Evans Rettig, Mary Patterson Hunt, Olive Carlton, Mae Lloyd
Bostwick, Olive Erwin, Hazel Hanson Law, Mae Watson, Ida Armstrong
and Ruth Cleverly.
Central High School JuniorClass
With only five in the class, they must have recieved a lot of
individual attention from Professor Newington. The
last boy on the right is E. Ross Adgate.PO1.1170
Photo of a class of younger children
from Central School taken1895. Note the boy in the upper right
peeking in the school window. PO1.1612
1917-Central High School girls.
L to R: Margaret Bemer Mills, Georgia King, Florence Cramer
Hall, Ethel McQuarrie Jenkins, Hilda Woodcock Smith, Erma Morral
Solomson, Margaret Richards Kelsey and Edith De Garmo.
Early one room Niles schoolhouse.
Notice there is a door for the females
and one for the males.
The sign on the left is a warning
to anyone who might consider trespassing and was posted by the
Board of Education. PO1.1614
Not all children attended Central School as there
were several neighborhood one-room scchools throughout the city.
A group of schoolchildren posed with their teacher
on the front steps of a school identified on the chalkboard as
Walnut Street School No. 2. PO1.1534