Harrison School on Route 422 was a brick building
with three classrooms and a lunch room. P11.342
1984 Times Special Edition–By Mary Jane Steffey
McKinley Heights began growing at the turn of
the century. Although consisting mostly of farms, the center of
the area became known as Tibbets Corners, named for the family
who owned a farm there. This is now the corner where Route 422
and Robbins Avenue intersect.
A one-room school, about one half mile north
on Route 422, accomodated the children of the residents. This
school taught grades one through eight. Some of the older boys
were called on the attend to the janitor work, such as shoveling
snow, etc. Children were expected to get to school by their own
transportation. School buses were non-existent.
The children attended this school until 1918,
when a new two room brick school was built on property about one
fourth mile south on the same side of the road. It was called
McKinley School. In Niles the high school, which opened in 1917,
was named Niles High School. In 1957, the new Niles high school
was named Niles McKinley High School.
Two years later it was enlarged to four rooms
and was acquired by the Niles City School System. The Niles Board
renamed the school Harrison School. Students used this school
until 1955. Now they are bused to schools within the city limits
M.E. Riley bought the Harrison School
in 1965 and turned it into a Technical School, teaching Drafting,
Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, and Electronics. It has been
expanded to eight classrooms and laboratories, and two other buildings
have been added to the educational complex.