House as it appeared in 1940.
The white brick residence known as ‘The
Mango Home’, was built in 1903 and took four years to build.
Vincent (Vincenza) and Rose (Rosario) Belitto Mango
were the original builders and owners. According to the Census
of 1910, Vincent Mango, was one of the the first Italian immigrants
in the Mahoning Valley, coming here in 1879.
Vincent had wanted to build on the lot on Robbins
Avenue where the Presbyterian Church is now located, but his Italian
heritage prevented the sale. He then bought three lots down from
the church near the alley on Ambrose Street. Vincent gave one
of the lots across the street to Rose’s sister, who was
married to Fredericka Marsico. They had four children,
three girls and one boy. One of the children, Mary, had been born
in Italy and later lived upstairs with Vincent and Rose in the
Vincent Mango was a contractor in charge of the
construction of Milton Dam and many brick roads in Niles. He also
directed the construction of several buildings in Niles including
the Mango Building in 1894 on the southeast corner of Park Avenue
and State Street which was bought by Isaac Shaker in
In 1906,Vincent offered the top two floors of
the building as a meeting place for the Italians who wanted to
form their own Catholic Church and later donated the bell to Mount
Follow this link to see the Mango Building and Shaker’s