Front View of Thomas House

Ward-Thomas Museum

Ohio Association of Historical Societies and Museums

Five images of buildings and grounds

William McKinley House and Museum

Ward — Thomas Museum
Home of the Niles Historical Society
503 Brown Street Niles, Ohio 44446

Click here to become a Niles Historical Society Member or to renew your membership

Return to the Homepage

Click on any photograph to view a larger image.

 

Email Us

Phone: 330.544.2143
Mail: PO Box 368 Niles, Ohio 44446

Individual Membership: $20.00
Family Membership: $30.00
Patron Membership: $50.00
Business Membership: $100.00
Lifetime Membership: $500.00
Corporate Membership:
Call 330.544.2143


Do you love the history of Niles, Ohio and want to preserve that history and memories of events for future generations?

Click here to donate:

As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, your donation is tax deductible. When you click on the Donate Button, you will be taken to a secure Website where your donation will entered and a receipt generated.


 

 

 

 

 

William McKinley birth home.

PO1.697A
Photograph dated 1896

McKinley House and Museum.

In 1890 the land upon which McKinley’s house stood on Main Street, was needed as a site for the City National Bank (later McKinley bank) It was not known who undertook and financed the project, but McKinley’s house was cut in two and the part in which McKinley had been born was moved to Riverside Park, some time after 1896, possibly as a museum attraction. The second half of the house was moved to Franklin alley and used as a shop where the Harris rotary offset presses were made.

The second half of the house was moved to Franklin alley and used as a shop where the Harris rotary offset presses were made.

PO1.550


View of City National Bank.

PO1.918

In 1894 the Riverside Park Company constructed a dam across the Meander Creek so as to enlarge the boating area. They stocked the water with fish in the hopes of attracting the serious anglers

By 1901 the Riverside Park proved to be unprofitable and the owners, William Allison, Clement Souder, Frances Thomas, E. A. Hartzell, Maggie Hartzell, S. S. Holeton, and Selina Holeton, sold the property to Buckeye Leather Company for $1,700.

William McKinley birth home.

PO1.697


During the late 1890's, after McKinley had been elected President , an effort was made to preserve his birthplace. We do not know who undertook the responsibility or expense, but the house was cut in two. The part the president had been born in was moved to Riverside Park

During the late 1890's, after McKinley had been elected President , an effort was made to preserve his birthplace. We do not know who undertook the responsibility or expense, but the house was cut in two. The part the president had been born in was moved to Riverside Park .PO1.709

Photo of the McKinley birthplace in its location at Riverside Park (corner of Salt Springs and Rte. 46 in Mineral Ridge)

Photo of the McKinley birthplace in its location at Riverside Park (corner of Salt Springs and Rte. 46 in Mineral Ridge). PO1.1626

 

With the demise of the amusement park, the McKinley house was occupied by tenants on the Riverside Park site until 1908.

With the demise of the amusement park, the McKinley house was occupied by tenants on the Riverside Park site until 1908. PO1.708


One-half of the McKinley birth home in Riverside Park.

PO1.698

In 1909 Mrs. Joseph Wess, the former Lulu Mackey, the first female member of the Trumbull County bar, decided to buy the house and restore it as nearly as possible. Miss Mackey had it moved by Frank Kramer to her property at McKinley Heights. She purchased the other section and had it moved as well, then proceeded to create a privately-owned museum which she operated until her death in 1934.

Two halves of McKinley birth home together again, 1910.

PO1.700


The museum was located on the Tibbetts property where the McKinley Heights Plaza is today at the intersection of Routes 422 and 169( Route 169 is still referred to as Tibbetts-Wick Road).

SO1.712

The museum was located on the Tibbetts property where the McKinley Heights Plaza is today at the intersection of Routes 422 and 169( Route 169 is still referred to as Tibbetts-Wick Road).

After the new National McKinley Memorial opened in 1917, people still visited this museum to see some of the original McKinley furniture and artifacts collected by Lulu Mackey.

The museum was located on the Tibbetts property where the McKinley Heights Plaza is today at the intersection of Routes 422 and 169( Route 169 is still referred to as Tibbetts-Wick Road).

PO1.694


A postcard of the interior of the McKinley House showcasing the fireplace, surrounded with woodwork of black walnut.

A postcard of the interior of the McKinley House showcasing the fireplace, surrounded with woodwork of black walnut. PO1.705

Interior views of a bedroom and a law office situated in the McKinley Museum on the Tibbetts property in McKinley Heights.

A view of one of the interior bedrooms in the original McKinley Birthplace museum in the 1920's. PO1.1903

Interior views of a bedroom and a law office situated in the McKinley Museum on the Tibbetts property in McKinley Heights.

Interior view of the law office situated in the McKinley Museum on the Tibbetts property in McKinley Heights in the 1920's.


McKinley Heights Museum, 1927.

McKinley Heights Museum, 1927.

After falling into disrepair, vandals burned the structure and it was destroyed in the late 1930s.

After falling into disrepair, vandals burned the structure and it was destroyed on April 3, 1937. PO1.699

All that remained of the McKinley Birthplace in McKinley Heights after the fire on April 3, 1937. PO1.712


In 1809, James McKinley, the president's grandfather, migrated from PA. to this house in New Lisbon, Ohio.

The home was built in 1806 by Gideon Hughes, the founder of the Rebecca Jane furnace in Lisbon, Ohio. PO1.714

In 1809, James McKinley, the president's grandfather, migrated from Pennsylvania to this house in New Lisbon, Ohio.

It was here the president's father grew up. He married Nancy Allison in 1829 and sometime during the 1830's moved his family to Niles.

 

replica of the McKinley birthplace

In 2010 a new replica of the McKinley birthplace was constructed on the original site on South Main Street in Downtown Niles, Ohio. The building functions as a museum and research center.


     

  Copyright©2008-2022, Niles Historical Society, All rights reserved
  Back to top