Front View of Thomas House

Ward-Thomas Museum

Ohio Association of Historical Societies and Museums

Five images of buildings and grounds

Early Car Dealerships in Niles

Ward — Thomas Museum
Home of the Niles Historical Society
503 Brown Street Niles, Ohio 44446

Return to the Homepage

Click on any photograph to view a larger image.

 

Email Us

Phone: 330.544.2143
Mail: PO Box 368 Niles, Ohio 44446

Individual Membership: $20.00
Family Membership: $30.00
Patron Membership: $50.00
Business Membership: $100.00
Lifetime Membership: $500.00
Corporate Membership:
Call 330.544.2143


Do you love the history of Niles, Ohio and want to preserve that history and memories of events for future generations?

Click here to donate:

As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, your donation is tax deductible. When you click on the Donate Button, you will be taken to a secure Website where your donation will entered and a receipt generated.




 

 

 

 

 

Prominent in the foreground of Carmella's Confectionery, located at 7 South Main Street, is one of the first Fords purchased in Niles, ca 1906.
PO1.244

Early Car Dealerships in Niles

At the turn of the twentieth century the dependence on the horse and buggy was about to change. Niles already had interurban street cars that ran between Niles and Mineral Ridge, Warren and McKinley Heights. The appearance of the motor-car was about to change the living style of families — travel to work, church, downtown even vacations.

Prominent in the foreground of Carmella's Confectionery, located at 7 South Main Street, is one of the first Fords purchased in Niles, ca 1906.


A listing of some of the car dealerships in Niles. The Great Depression
caused many car businesses to close and sell-off
their inventory at a huge loss.

Cook and Baker 265 North Main — Oldsmobile
Humphries-Barker 1121 North Main Plymouth — DeSoto
Hake Motor Co. 116 West Federal Street — Buick
Pritchard Motors 319 Robbins Avenue — Dodge-Plymouth
Shiveley Sales and Service 327 Robbins Avenue — Ford
Brooks Motor Sales 1121 North Main — Dodge-Plymouth
C.H. Stiver 236 North Main — Chevrolet
Dean & Best 100 West Federal Street — Oldsmobile
Park Auto 148 North Main — Pontiac
P&G Auto Sales — Willys
Johnny Pressel Motor Sales — Chrysler-Plymouth
E.C. Dugan — DeSoto-Plymouth

The Peerless brand was advertised and sold by Mullett Motor Sales located at 236 North Main Street. Peerless went out of business during the Great Depression.

The Nash was sold by J.E. Heatman, Inc. located at 148 State Street across from Central Park (Dairy Queen area). Nash went out of business in the 1950s.

Ray DeLaney, Inc. took over the Ford Dealership from R.A. Axelson at 329 Robbins Avenue.

R.A. Axelson opened a used car dealership on North Main Street that went out of business in 1931 as a result of the Great Depression.


Sample newpaper car advertisements.

Sample newpaper car advertisements.

Sample newpaper car advertisements.


DeJute Building

The DeJute Building at 236 North Main Street was built in 1928. C.H. Stiver sold Chevrolets at this location, then moved across the street. A Desoto-Plymouth dealership was then located here.

 

New location for C.H. Stiver dealership.

New location for C.H. Stiver dealership.

The Pritchard Building was located at 319 Robbins Avenue and Pritchard Motors sold Dodge-Plymouth cars at this location.

The Pritchard Building was located at 319 Robbins Avenue and Pritchard Motors sold Dodge-Plymouth cars at this location.


 

The Sigler Building, built in 1919, is located at the intersection of Robbins and Mahoning Avenues.

The Sigler Building, built in 1919, is located at the intersection of Robbins and Mahoning Avenues.

One of the many businesses that occupied the Sigler Building was Johnny Pressell Motor Sales during the 40’s and 50’s.

One of the many businesses that occupied the Sigler Building was Johnny Pressell Motor Sales during the 40’s and 50’s. Johnny sold Chrysler and Plymouth automobiles in the front with a service department in the back.PO11.382

A 1954 advertisement for the Chrysler Imperial.

A 1954 advertisement for the Chrysler Imperial.


The Sigler Building was razed in 2019.

Looking down Robbins from Pressell’s was Herb Stein Lincoln-Mercury Sales.

Looking down Robbins from Pressell’s was Herb Stein Lincoln-Mercury Sales. Dealers kept their new cars hidden until the presentation of the new model year in September.

I remember peeking into Stein’s garage on Hartzell to see the new Lincoln or Mercury cars. These were the years when each automobile had its own design with fins, chrome, dual headlights and more to make it standout and be more desireable to the car buyers.

Advertisement for the 1954 Mercury on sale at Herb Stein's Linciln-Mercury dealership.

 


The Pritchard Building was razed in 2019.

Advertisement for Fleck Pontiac.

The Pritchard Building is located at 319 Robbins Avenue and Pritchard Motors sold Dodge-Plymouth cars at this location.

In the '50s and 'early '60s, Fleck Pontiac would occupy this building with a dealership.

Ray DeLaney, Inc. took over the Ford Dealership from R.A. Axelson at 329 Robbins Avenue. Later, Shivley Sales and Service would sell Fords at 327 Robbins Avenue.

In the '50s Bonaquist Motors would sell Dodge and Plymouth automobiles at this location.


1941 Buick ad

1941 Buick advertisement

essex car ad

 

1941 Ford ad

1941 Ford ad


Stiver ad

C.H. Stiver Advertisement

1925 Studebaker ad

1925 Studebaker advertisement

1954 Car Dealerships

1954 Car Dealerships



  Copyright©2008-2022, Niles Historical Society, All rights reserved
  Back to top