Front View of Thomas House

Ward-Thomas Museum

Ohio Association of Historical Societies and Museums

Five images of buildings and grounds

The Story of Annie Stevens' Two Homes

Ward — Thomas Museum
Home of the Niles Historical Society
503 Brown Street Niles, Ohio 44446

Return to the Homepage

Click on any photograph to view a larger image.

 

Email Us

Phone: 330.544.2143
Mail: PO Box 368 Niles, Ohio 44446

Click on Links Below for Navigation

Historical Society Links
Historical Society Links
Historical  Society Events
Historical Society Tours

E-Mail Us

Individual Membership: $20.00
Family Membership: $30.00
Patron Membership: $50.00
Business Membership: $100.00
Lifetime Membership: $500.00
Corporate Membership:
Call 330.544.2143


Do you love the history of Niles, Ohio and want to preserve that history and memories of events for future generations?

Click here to donate:

As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, your donation is tax deductible. When you click on the Donate Button, you will be taken to a secure Website where your donation will entered and a receipt generated.




 

 

 

 

 

1210 Robbins Avenue

The Residence was originally built by George Robbins and his wife at the turn of the century in XXXX and the garage was built in 1936. Harry Stevens, known as 'The Hot Dog King', bought the house in 1911 and his only daughter, Annie Stevens Rose subsequently acquired the house and lived at 1210 Robbins Avenue for many years. Jesse Scott, a local realtor purchased the house in 1990.

This photograph shows Harry Stevens seated in a rocking chair at the far right with members of his family. The convertible is parked on the drive-way at the side entrance to the house. Tall trees adorn the yard and the drive has plantings along its path.


plat map of the Robbins and North Crandon Avenue area with the Stevens' and the Hosack's parcels highlighted in light red.
Plat map(1930) of the Robbins and North Crandon Avenue area with the Stevens' and the Hosack's parcels highlighted in light red.

The Stevens family owned land on both sides of Robbins Avenue and extending up Crandon. The family built the house next door to them at 1224 Robbins in 1923. It was ready for the couple when Annie and C. Homer Rose were married and they moved there. Some sources list the year as 1925. Unfortunately, Homer died soon after that and Annie moved back to her parent’s home next door, taking the wedding gifts with her. The house remained empty for some time.

John Hosack and his wife Elizabeth, who was a descendant of the Thomas family, lived with their daughters down the street. They were looking for a larger home and approached Annie about buying her house. It was something she had not considered before but told them that it had been built for a happy family and that she would sell it to them.

The Stevens property is listed under Mary Stevens' name. Mary was the wife of Harry Stevens and mother of Annie Stevens.

 


The red brick house that the Stevens family built in 1923 at 1224 Robbins

The red brick house that the Stevens family built in 1923 at 1224 Robbins Avenue beside their home at 1210 Robbins Avenue.

The Hosacks extended the back of the house but the rooms, the woodwork and the lighting fixtures remained as they were when the house was originally built. It is a fine old house.

After Elizabeth Hosack died in 1992, Anne and Jim Townley purchased the house at 1224 Robbins and continued to live there until they sold the house in 2018.


the Stevens Youth Cabin was dedicated in 1948 in honor of Harry Mozely Stevens

In 1936 the land was donated for Stevens Park and the Stevens Youth Cabin was dedicated in 1948 in honor of Harry Mozely Stevens and the Stevens family contributions to their community.

Harry Stevens (14 June 1855 – 3 May 1934) is buried in Union Cemetary.


Presbyterian Church across from The Stevens and Hosack residences on Robbins Avenue.

Annie Rose donated the land for the Presbyterian Church on Robbins Avenue and the Methodist Church on Crandon. She belonged to the Presbyterian Church, so they had first choice.

The new Methodist Church at the top of Crandon was dedicated in May, 1956. The new Presbyterian Church on Robbins Avenue was dedicated in 1957.

It is said that, “she wanted her church to be on Robbins Avenue across from her house so she could look out her window and see the church she attended”.

The First Presbyterian Church across from The Stevens and Hosack residences on Robbins Avenue.


Stevens home as it appeared in 2013
1210 Robbins Avenue

Pictured on the left is the Stevens' home as it appeared in 2013. The portico has been extended over the drive and some of the tall trees and plantings along the drive are gone from the 1911 house.

Dedication plaque located at the entrance to Stevens Park.

"In 1936, this land was donated by the Stevens Family to the residents of Niles for the development of a park in memory of Harry M. Stevens.

In the sporting world there are two things which are undeniably invaluable: the scorecard and the hot dog. Harry Mozely Stevens introduced them both.

Stevens made Niles, Ohio his home after emigrating from England in the early 1880s. He created the baseball scorecard, introducing it in Columbus, Ohio marking his entrance into the world of sports concessionaires. This led him to the Polo Grounds in New York, where he personified the great American dream when he introduced the concept of the hot dog and laid the foundation for the largest family-owned sports concession company.

Today this company serves the fans at Candlestick Park, Churchill Downs, Giants Stadium. The Astrodome, Fenway Park and over thirty other famous stadiums, arenas and racetracks."

Dedicated: August 15, 1984
PO1.937

  Copyright©2008-2020, Niles Historical Society, All rights reserved
  Back to top