Front View of Thomas House

Ward-Thomas Museum

Ohio Association of Historical Societies and Museums

Five images of buildings and grounds

South Main Street — 1905

Ward — Thomas Museum
Home of the Niles Historical Society
503 Brown Street Niles, Ohio 44446

Return to the Homepage

Click on any photograph to view a larger image.

 

Email Us

Phone: 330.544.2143
Mail: PO Box 368 Niles, Ohio 44446

Click on Links Below for Navigation

Photographs

Stories

Historical Society Links
Historical Society Links
Historical  Society Events
Historical Society Tours

E-Mail Us

Individual Membership: $20.00
Family Membership: $30.00
Patron Membership: $50.00
Business Membership: $100.00
Lifetime Membership: $500.00
Corporate Membership:
Call 330.544.2143


Do you love the history of Niles, Ohio and want to preserve that history and memories of events for future generations?

Click here to donate:

As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, your donation is tax deductible. When you click on the Donate Button, you will be taken to a secure Website where your donation will entered and a receipt generated.




 

 

 

 

 

South Main Street — Niles, 1905.

“The Grand” dominates the block, Caramella’s had opened their Ice Cream Parlor next to it. Later, T. W. Morral’s Clothing Store and the Bakery & Restaurant would be replaced with brick buildings. The Armstrong-Morral Building would become the Ideal Department Store and the Wagstaff Building, Ragazzo’s Men’s Shop. The Crandon Building built in 1904 became Thomas Hoffman’s Store the following year. It burned in 1962, marking the decline of downtown Niles. PO1.919


1900 photo taken of Milo Caramella standing in front of his store located at 13 South Main Street in downtown Niles

1900 photo taken of Milo Caramella standing in front of his store located at 13 South Main Street in downtown Niles at the turn of the century. (2nd store from the current site of Farmer’s National Bank). PO1.231

Photo taken outside Caramella’s Confectionary Shop in 1906 after it had been recently remodeled.

Photo taken outside Caramella’s Confectionery Shop in 1906 after it had been recently remodeled. Prominent in the foreground is one of the first Fords purchased in Niles. PO1.244

In 1900 Caramella’s Confectionery & Ice Cream Parlor opened on South Main Street next to the Grand Saloon. This interior shot was taken in 1906 after the store had been recently remodeled. PO1.243


Different views of the buildings on the east side of South Main Street.

Different views of the buildings on the east side of South Main Street. File0159

Different views of the buildings on the east side of South Main Street.

File0149

Different views of the buildings on the east side of South Main Street.

File0157


View of South Main Street looking north from MillStreet(State Street). The corner building on the right is the Hartzell Building.

View of South Main Street looking north from Mill Street(State Street). The corner building on the right is the Hartzell Building.

Photo taken of the delivery wagon

Photo taken of the delivery wagon
for the White Line Bottling Works
. PO1.250

Photo taken of Milo Caramella standing

Photo taken of Milo Caramella standing
in front of his store about 1900. PO1.241


1906 photograph of Thomas & Hoffman store.

1906 photograph of Thomas & Hoffman store.

Photo of Williams Grocery on South Main Street in Niles about 1900.

Williams Grocery on South Main Street in Niles about 1900. Doubet's Jewelry was on this location in 1927. Pictured are Eli Williams and wife, Ann Mason Williams.PO1.230

Photo taken of the delivery wagon

Photo taken of the delivery wagon
for the White Line Bottling Works
.


This is a picture of Wagstaff & Jenkins Drugs located at 17 South Main Street and built in the late 1880's.

Main Street looking south, the Dollar Bank (white marble building) was built in 1918.

(Top): Main Street looking south, the Dollar Bank (white marble building) was built in 1918. Postcard dated 1927 was printed earlier.

(L):This is a picture of Wagstaff & Jenkins Drugs located at 17 South Main Street and built in the late 1880's. It had one of the most attractive soda fountains in the city. It was so badly damaged in the 1962 fire of Hoffman's Department Store, that it had to be torn down.

The "Grand" Saloon was located next to what is now the Security Dollar Bank (soon to be Farmer's National Bank). It was very ornate in keeping with the times. W. Thomas Holzbach, the proprietor said it had been equipped at an expense of $10,000.00 The interior was of carved oak with marble floors and sidewalls. It had a "Ladies Lounge", imported French and Italian bronze statuary throughout and electric lights. P01.248


In 1900 Caramella's Confectionary & Ice Cream Parlor opened next to the Grand Saloon. This interior shot was taken in 1906 after the store had been recently remodeled.

In 1900 Caramella's Confectionary & Ice Cream Parlor opened next to the Grand Saloon. This interior shot was taken in 1906 after the store had been recently remodeled. PO1.245

On the left corner is the old Ward residence built in the early 1840's.

On the left corner is the old Ward residence built in the early 1840's. After the Wards moved to their new, more elaborate house on Brown St., this house was turned into a hotel and used for this purpose for many years. It was torn down to make way for the Dollar Bank Building in 1918. PO1.912

Main Street looking north about 1895-1900. The Hartzell Building is on the corner.

Main Street looking north about 1895-1900. The Hartzell Building is on the corner. Two of the next three brick buildings later became a part of Hoffman's Store. The third building and the one on the other side were destroyed prior to 1900. Next was the Wagstaff Building and beyond it the "Grand". PO1.914



  Copyright©2008-2020, Niles Historical Society, All rights reserved
  Back to top