Side Presbyterian Past Century
From the Niles Daily Times 1984
The South Side Presbyterian Church was begun
more than a hundred years ago by Welsh Presbyterians, who at the
time were the principal residents of the city’s south side,
known back in the early days as ‘Goat Hill’.
In 1872, a lot was purchased at 104 West Second
Street from David and Hannah Prosser and construction
began on the building, under the leadership of the Davis Brothers.
The church was dedicated in 1876 with the Reverend John Moses
as its first pastor.
The Hungarian Presbyterians purchased the Second
Street building in 1924 and Reverend Stephen Czepke was
its first resident pastor. In the early 1950s the interior of
the church was remodeled. The ceiling was lowered to form an arch
and the pulpit was also improved.
Also, during the 1950s the church assumed the
name of South Side United Presbyterian Church as an American Congregation
has served well the community and its members.
More extensive remodeling was done on the church
during the 1960s. Three Sunday school rooms were added and a kitchen
installed in the basement.
Present pastor of the South Side United Presbyterian
Church is Reverend Csaba Orosz.
Dedication of the church bell for the
South Side Presbyterian Church.
and Bertha Moritz donated the bell to the church. The Hosack and
Clingan families assisted in locating the bell manufacturer.
At this time the sevices were in Hungarian due
to the large number of Hungarian families attending the church.
As the couples had children and the children
in the picture grew up but were not bi-lingual, two services were
offered: one in Hungarian and a second in English”.